This is a new section on the school website first opened in April 2012. It has started with existing materials from other areas, but it will evolve in the months and years ahead with additional sections and links as appropriate.
Lincoln Christ’s Hospital School was formed in 1974 as a result of combining four schools; Lincoln School, Lincoln Christ’s Hospital Girls’ High School (subsequently referred to as Lincoln High School), St Giles Secondary School for Boys, and Myle Cross Secondary School for Girls. While Lincoln School’s history can be traced back to 1090, the other three schools were formed relatively recently; Lincoln High School in 1893 and the two secondary modern schools in 1933. Therefore, the story is a complicated one.
This section of the website will develop considerably in the years ahead. In the first phase we plan to concentrate on the following:
- the Garton Archive - materials relating to the four schools which merged in 1974 to form the present school. This is the day-to-day responsibility of Peter Harrod, Assistant Archivist;
- Alumni - reminiscences of pupils from all five schools.
- Galleries - pictures including virtual tours from different periods
Visitors are advised to look in all sections because some items can't be easily categorised. When time allows we may be able to separate all materials, including alumni entries, into separate sections for each school, but overlaps might make this more challenging than it looks at first sight. We will also begin to develop the post-1974 history
We would welcome relevant materials and memories from former pupils, staff and anyone with items and stories about the five schools, ancient and modern, which they would like to share with others in our very wide school community. At this moment in time we would be particularly pleased to receive memories and pictures of school life at any of the five institutions in the period from 1960 to 1985. St.Giles, Myle Cross and Girls High School team photographs would be most appreciated as would LCHS images from 1974 to 1985. Items can be copied and returned
Catherine Forbes, Display Manager
Chris Williams, Honorary Archivist